Published: 11/02/2017 19:22 - Updated: 11/02/2017 19:30

Buckie Thistle sent spinning out after cup cracker

Written byChris Saunderson

Buckie Thistle 4, Forres Mechanics 4 (Forres won 4-2 on pens)

BUCKIE Thistle crashed out of the Breedon Highland League Cup after surrendering a three goal lead to Forres Mechanics and then losing a penalty shootout.

Buckie manager Graeme Stewart.
Buckie manager Graeme Stewart.

The Jags looked to have killed the game off with three goals in a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half.

They led 4-1 against a Mechanics side down to ten men and missed chances to extend the lead.

However, Forres fired three goals in 16 minutes to force extra-time and won the shootout 4-2, with Buckie defender Craig Dorrat forced to take the gloves after Daniel Bell was shown a straight red card in the dying seconds of extra-time.

This was a pulsating cup match and great entertainment for the fans at Victoria Park.

Buckie got off to the perfect start when Shaun Wood fired them ahead after three minutes.

Forres were level in the 18th minute when John Cameron scored from close range.

Martin Groat was shown a red card for a kick at Craig Cowie in the 29th minute.

Lewis Mackinnon led from the front with one of the Buckie goals.
Lewis Mackinnon's red card changed the game.

Buckie started the second half in great fashion and Wood made it 2-1 after getting on the end of Stuart Taylor’s ball across the six yard box.

It was 3-1 in the 52nd minute when Dorrat towered above the Forres defenders to head home a Lewis Mackinnon free kick.

John McLeod looked to have buried the Can-Cans within three minutes when he fired home his 38th goal of the season.

He should have added a fifth in the 57th minute when he rounded Forres keeper Stuart Knight but missed an open goal, the ball hitting a post and going wide.

The Mechanics were handed a lifeline on the hour when Ross MacPherson went down under a challenge from Hamish Munro and Stuart Soane converted from the spot.

Buckie went down to ten men in the 63rd minute when Lewis Mackinnon, booked in the first half, was shown a second yellow card for tugging back striker Andrew MacRae.

Daniel Bell was named man of the match.
Daniel Bell was red carded at the end of extra-time.

Salt was rubbed in the Jag’s wounds when from Simon Allan’s free kick, Lee Fraser headed the ball home.

The momentum was well and truly with Forres and they levelled the match with 14 minutes remaining when an Allan corner fell to MacRae outside the box and when he delivered the ball back into the danger area, Soane headed on for Cameron to head home from close range.

In the 80th minute Bell stuck out his right foot to keep out a Fraser header, while at the other end Knight denied Sam Urquhart and then Fraser was pole-axed by a Munro piledriver.

Chances were few and far between in extra-time although Buckie skipper Kevin Fraser had a great opportunity when he raced through but delayed his pass to Shaun Carrol and Knight was able to make a smothering save.

Buckie keeper Bell was sent off in the dying seconds when he and Dorrat got in a mix up and the keeper took out Lee Fraser outside his box.

Having used all three subs, Buckie were forced to put Dorrat in goal for the shootout. Carrol and Ceiran McLean both fired their penalties against the crossbar while Forres converted their first four penalties to progress to the next round.

Buckie: Bell, Wood, Dorrat, Munro, MacKinnon, Cowie, Fraser, Taylor, Maitland (Urquhart 30), Copeland (Carrol 65), McLeod (McLean 68). Not used: Milne, Strong.

Forres: Knight, Allan, Grant, Groat, Moore (MacRae 55), L Fraser, Pollock, Cameron, MacPherson, Howarth (Stuart 116), Soane. Not used: Tweedie, Maciver, Paterson, McLean, Storrier.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo