Published: 15/08/2017 23:09 - Updated: 16/08/2017 16:42

Buckie Thistle dump Brechin City out of Irn Bru Challenge Cup

Written byChris Saunderson

CAPTAIN marvel Kevin Fraser struck a second half double to send Championship Brechin City spinning out of the Irn Bru Challenge Cup at Victoria Park.

Fraser came off the bench in the 53rd minute with the Highland League champions trailing 1-0 to Paul McLean's 13th minute goal.

Lewis MacKinnon climbs above Brechin striker Andy Jackson. Photo: Lyn MacDonald
Lewis MacKinnon climbs above Brechin striker Andy Jackson. Photo: Lyn MacDonald

It took Fraser just three minutes to fire his side level and he grabbed a sensational winner in the 82nd minute after leaving the City defence in his wake and smashing the ball home from 12 yards.

Fraser admitted afterwards he had been "upset" at being rested by manager Graeme Stewart after a hectic period of games.

However, Stewart's plan was always to give his skipper 30 minutes to have a go at Brechin if the Jags were still in the game.

After a disappointing first half, Buckie were still well in contention and really upped the tempo after the break.

Fraser, who saw a possible move to Inverness Caley Thistle fall through when the sides could not agree a fee, was the difference between the sides as he led his team to a great result.

Fraser said: "That was pretty good. We always fancied our chances and it was good to get the win.

Callum Murray battles for the ball with Ally Love.
Callum Murray battles for the ball with Ally Love.


"I was trying to get my second wind just before I scored as it is harder coming on sometimes. We went into the game to try and enjoy it and thankfully we got the result.

"The boys are buzzing now to see who we get in the next round.

"Spider (Stewart) told me I wasn't starting tonight and I was a wee bit upset."

Stewart paid tribute to his captain: "We knew if we were still in the game we had boys on the bench like Kevin, Sam (Urquhart), Chris (Angus) and Stevie (Ross) who can all play at a higher level and they could make a difference.

"The game plan was if we were still in the game with about 30 minutes to go we would get Kevin on and hopefully he would make a difference. It was unbelievable.

"It didn't look like there was any difference between the teams. We are a really good team but we have not shown our true potential until last Saturday at Wick and tonight.

"We have set standards now and I don't want them going below that now. We have a massive game on Saturday now against Formartine."

Stewart said Fraser is settled again following his trial spell with Inverness CT and signing a new five year contract.

"Kevin loves the club. Buckie has been good for him and he has been good for the club. He is the leader of our team and we need him and he needs us. He is with a team on the way up and we are going to try and win more things this year."

Buckie: Bell, Anderson, MacKinnon, Skinner, Carroll, Taylor, Copeland (Fraser 53), Murray (Angus 61), McLean, McLeod, K Ross (Urquhart 28). Not used: Cheyne, S Ross, Munro, Strong.

Brechin: Smith, McLean, Dyer, Fusco (Spark 49), McGeever, Dale, Love (Orsi 82), Graham (Watt 69), Jackson, Layne, O'Neill. Not used: Lynas, Ford, Sinclair, P O'Neill.

Cove Rangers also progressed to the next round with a 2-0 victory at Stenhousemuir, while Elgin City won 2-1 against Hibs Under-20s at Easter Road.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo