Published: 15/07/2017 19:53 - Updated: 15/07/2017 20:02

Buckie Thistle come close in Betfred debut

Written byStephen Coutts


Craig Dorrat
Craig Dorrat put Buckie ahead after just four minutes.



Buckie Thistle...2

BATTLING Buckie were unlucky not to leave Central Park with a share of the spoils after a solid display against League Two Cowdenbeath in their debut in the Betfred League Cup.

A bizarre opener from Craig Dorrat put the Jags ahead early on before David Syme levelled and then Cameron Muirhead put the hosts in front. Drew Copeland equalised for Buckie early in the second half before Syme’s second of the match and a sublime late effort by Ryan Connelly killed the tie.

Backed by a boisterous travelling support, it took only four minutes for the ball to be in a net as whistler Scott Millar adjudged Syme guilty of a passback after Kevin Fraser knocked the ball off his foot and David McGurn collected.

Dorrat placed the ball just yards from the byline and the keeper’s left post then proceeded to blast into the ruck of players and it was deflected into the net.

The Jags thought they had a great penalty shout on 23 minutes as John McLeod breezed past Scott Rumsby and Jamie Pyper then tumbled in the box but ref Millar wasn’t interested.

Moments later the Blue Brazil were level when Syme rose highest in the box to bullet home Shaun Rutherford’s corner from the right.

Cowdenbeath were finding their feet and Matthew McInally whipped in a cross that Muirhead was just inches away from converting.

Nothing was getting past Lewis MacKinnon as he made another crucial stop by taking it off the toe of Jack Whittaker just as he was about to pull the trigger.

Cowdenbeath’s dominance in the final third finally paid off as McInally fed Muirhead who rounded Bell and slotted home.

On 50 minutes Jags sub Copeland swung in a corner from the right that evaded everyone before landing in the net.

On the hour mark defender Syme put Cowdenbeath ahead with a fine looping header from Fraser Mullen’s freekick.

The Jags had MacKinnon to thank again for a timely interception that stopped Buchanan going through on goal.

Right at the death Connelly picked up the ball on the halfway line and drove forward to beat six Buckie players to finish the tie.

Cowdenbeath: McGurn, McInally, Rutherford (Swann 45), Pyper, Rumsby, Syme,  Buchanan, Mullen B90, Muirhead, Miller, Whittaker (Connelly 47). Subs not used: McGovern, Thomson, Kellichan, Turnbull

Buckie: Bell, Skinner, MacKinnon, Munro, Dorrat (Murray 75), McLean, Fraser, Cheyne (Copeland 49), Angus (Ross 75) McLeod, Taylor. Subs not used: Salmon, Anderson, Maitland, Urquhart.

Att: 308

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo